Tuesday 7 August 2007

Summer - at last!

You just cant beat it can you?

Another month with us but, at last, the flippin' summer has decided to make an appearance. There's nothing like the sun on your back to give you a bit of confidence and the Long Suffering has encouraged me to "spend a bit of time in the garden - whilst you can".

You won't need to ask me twice!

So, here's my little list of jobs for the week.

All the pretty stuff is in full bloom, so I'll be pruning our wisteria and the two apple trees. That'll take me a pleasant couple of hours and I'll work up a thirst for that bottle of cold Spitfire sat waiting for me in the fridge.

Whilst I'm doing that, The Long Suffering usually potters around removing any dead flower heads to make room for new flowers.

Mind you, despite all this wretched rain we've been having, it's important to continue watering the plants and that's usually my last job of an evening - and with the recent weather, I can tell you, I got plenty of the wet stuff! My butts are overflowing if you pardon the expression!

I'll also be doing a spot of remedial work on my tomatoes and will pinch out the tops of the plants - and the runner beans – to increase the yield! Looking at both, we could actually be in for a decent yield - thanks, of course, in no small way, to good old Rootgrow!

Finally, I want to clear a largish patch of my garden to make room for a new enlarged spud patch I want to have in place for next year - and then there's the repair work to the greenhouse and the shed .....

And do you know? I think that little lot will keep me busy this week!

But at least I'll be smiling!

No comments: