Monday 10 September 2007

A surprise in store

What a welcome sight it was this weekend. I'd always planned an early start in the garden but I hadn't planned to be welcomed by the old lightbulb in the sky. I don't know about you, but even the most tedious of garden chores seems to be so much more bearable when the sun is shining.

So, I set off with some gusto and boy did I get some work done.

I put out some spring-flowering forget-me-nots and wallflowers - doing it now gives them time to establish themselves before winter. I also planted some border perennials and, of course, the Rootgrow was put to good use. I sometimes look at my neighbour's garden and I can't help but have a little chuckle when I see his stuff barely three quarters the size of mine. I keep telling him it's the old Rootgrow that helps - but he's a Yorkshireman and not too good at opening his wallet. He keeps throwing manure on his garden but he just doesn't measure up to me in the size brigade I can tell you!

I also gave my hedges a final trim before winter - and that's a chore that I can well do without I can tell you. (And here's a free hint - keep your Rootgrow well clear of your hedges, you're just storing up some hard graft for yourself!!).

I also had a good harvest - a few remaining plums that went straight into the kitchen for a fine plum crumble. And I took a few good buckets of fine Kent apples and pears - they'll be put to good use as well I can tell you!

Then I did a bit of work on the long-suffering's roses, nipping off the faded blooms and pruning them back. Finally, I had a good go at the lawn, giving it a smart cut, tidying the edges and repairing a couiple of patches.

And that was my weekend in the garden. And as I sat down to a satisying bottle of my favourite brew late yesterday afternoon I confess to wondering just how many more opportunities I'd have to do that before next year!

No comments: