Tuesday 29 January 2008

I like my trees!

As I write this article we are getting drowned on again!

I mean I know that we should be watering our gardens, and evergreen trees and shrubs until it freezes. But for goodness sake I'm wet through!!

Been looking at my trees today.

I've been pruning my elms and oaks and as my pines get older I think they are shedding more -a bit like yours truly to be honest!

With those strong winds last week, I had a load of damaged branches that needed to be cleaned up and removed. The problem is that breaks in the branches allows insect and disease to get into them. That's why the broken portions should be properly pruned to branch collars or other appropriate points.

Trees are important you know - and I don't think we take too much care of ours in this country. Certainly I seem to be surrounded by people who see a tree as an opportunity to take out their axes and chainsaws.

But look after your trees and they'll look after you!

No comments: