Monday 11 June 2007

What's happening to summer?

It's only a week ago that I was forced to stop my pottering every 20 minutes or so, to take a break. With temperatures comfortably in the 70's I found myslef struggling to keep the momentum going. Not that I was complaining of course - whilst you'll find me in the garden most days, I have to confess that I love to work with the sun on my back!

On Friday though, I was in the Rootgrow garden to do some more planting, some potting up, some tidying up ... and to check up on the temperatures in the glasshouses we use for research. Unfortunately I drew the short straw and was tasked with moving plants from a neighbouring glasshouse which neccessitated a short 25 yard walk outside - and my, what a change in the weather.

Howling wind, cold, driving rain - is this the same country that was basking in Mediteranean temperatures just a few short days ago?

Yesterday though the flippin weather changed again and it was back to sizzling seventies again! I managed to catch up on some planted and I put down some onions and peas. Naturally, I added some of my employer's friendly fungi to each hole and dug it into the soil before I planted them. It's a delight too to see the benefits of what Rootgrow can do to your pride and joy though - but to make sure we can continue to make the claims we do, we always plant what the clever people call a 'Control'. This involves splitting our planting into two - one lot receive the Rootgrow treatment and the other is left to its own devices. The differences can be truly amazing!

Mind you, these scientists still need a little bit of help and I made sure after I planted that each plant had a brassica collar around it to try and stop the nasty creepy crawlies from laying eggs around the stem and then I covered the lot with a fine grade mesh to keep the butterflies out.

I'll let you know how we get on!

No comments: