Monday 11 June 2007

My favourite time of year!

I love May.

Not just because I can actually work my garden with the chance of some sun on my back. And not just because of the pleasure I get from seeing the first of my perennials emerging. Or beacuse my hectic spring-time planting programme is in full swing.

No - it's because if it's May, it must be Chelsea!

I refer not, of course, to the under-achieving team of footballing mercenaries in West London but to the Chelsea Flower Show which I attended with my bosses from Rootgrow - I think they see it as a little perk for me! In fact, I have to be honest, I spend the whole of the February, March and April getting ready for it - and I love it! I suppose it's because I feel at home - people are generally very friendly, very knowledgeable - and they seem to enjoy my company too!

But, do you know, I actually find the Chelsea experience very similar to watching my favourite football team. In much the same way as an old fashioned and rather cumbersome Centre Half can sit and admire the silky skills of the multi-talented footballing superstars of Manchester United or Arsenal, I can, as a self-confessed hard-working, but practical gardener, stand back and admire the fabulous creations presnted to us at Chelsea each year.

And, of course, whilst I could probably never dream of matching those creations - I can, at least dream.

I'll bring you some nice photos that I took - just as soon as the much-beloved gets them back from Boots!

No comments: