Monday 11 June 2007

Next door's roses

I live next door to some lovely people.

Lovely people - but, how shall we say ... not blessed with the greenest of fingers!

But even I had to feel sorry for them when they decided to plant some new roses. They simply couldn't understand why they were having problems. Fortunately I know that the lady of the house bakes rather fine Chocolate cake - so with this in mind I offered to help!

I quickly worked out the problem - we call it rose replant syndrome. RRS is found when new roses are planted into soil that has supported other roses previously. In the old days some gardeners used a chemical called Armillatox but this is now banned for use with plants because they tend to get rid of all the living organisms from the soil.

The other alternative is large scale soil removal and replacement - but that's a bit too much hard work for an old 'un like me. So I find the most economic - and easiest! - option is to treat the new plants with my good old Friendly Fungi. Using Rootgrow I can confidently predict that the roses will soon be prospering. The fungi act like a buffer between the plant and the soil and help the roses ability to tolerate attack.

I'll let you know how they get on.

Oh and the cake was up to scratch - only managed the two pieces though

No comments: