Saturday 28 July 2007

Big day today!!

Forget the Cup Final. Forget the Ashes. Forget the Queens Birthday!

Today is the big day!

It's our local Horticultural Society Summer Show today - and if you think competitive spirit is restricted to the sporting arena then think again!

Of course, as I'm considered something of a Garden Expert, the pressure is on me a bit and I have to admit, between you and I, it's got to me this year.

The problem is, all this flippin' weather we've been having has played havoc with my plans - and there's a couple of people in the village who seem to be revelling in my discomfort! It's got a bit tetchy this year with one or two things being said that maybe shouldn't be said. I've even taken to checking the greenhouse before going to bed - well you never know do you?

Mind you, come half past three this afternoon, when the judges have made their decisions we'll all be back to being good friends again. But until 3.30 I ain't speaking to them - they're not speaking to me. There's an element of jealousy in all this though. You see, just cos I work for Rootgrow, one or two of them seem to think I have a bit of an advantage - you know, like I'm cheating or something. Mind you there's hardly a murmur out of them when I'm at the AGM with free samples of Rootgrow to hand out - they're OK and best buddies then!

I did have a sneaky look at Ron's beetroots - he's not a chance! Mine are like footballs! And as for his cucumbers - his are like pea pods compared to mine! And I know I've got the beating of his plum tomatoes. But I have to hold me hands up - he had a nice plate of spuds when I popped down to the Village Hall this morning to set up. His celery looks neat too - but I've always though of celery as being a bit of a non veg - can't bear the stuff!

Pete the Plumber had also made an effort too and I think he could be favourite in a couple of categories. And my mate Burkey's missus won't be happy till she's picked up a clutch of awards. She's not what I call a proper gardener mind - but she does enter stuff in all the categories going including jams, cakes, knitting and all them other women categories.

Not that I'm against the women taking part though - me and the Long Suffering are a good team when it comes to the Summer Shows. I grow 'em and she cleans them up for me to plate up!

But right now I'm a touch on edge - and I will be for the next couple of hours!

I'll be back tomorrow and let you know how I get on!

No comments: