Wednesday 25 July 2007

Shifting this and shifting that .....

It was a very pleasant evening in the Garden of England last night. I was preparing some of my entries for the local horticultural show and you know when you start what should be a little job and it grows and grows? Well, I was doing OK until the Long Suffering made some comment about not liking the Nandina Domestica being next to the blackcurrants we have growing.

Not a problem I thought - I'll just lift it out and move it to wherever she feels best - after all, who am I to argue?

It's always a bit of a nerve wracking job moving well established plants but I've got my magic stuff to help me! Our Rootgrow is brilliant for this - and I know from the work we've done in the glasshouses at work just how effective it can be. (Course it helps that my boss lets me have a few sample packs).

Rootgrow is a natural, eco-friendly, five hundred million year old friendly fungi called mycorrhizal fungi.

So, if a large plant is dug up the roots are obviously damaged. But in a matter of weeks the mycorrhizal fungi colonise those damaged points (effectively sealing them) and help to prevent other nasties from getting a foothold.

Rootgrow adds a secondary living fungal root which will establish much faster than the plants own roots. And this enables the plant to find nutrients and hold onto water in the critical first few months of establishing in its new home.

Mind you, once she saw how easy the job of shifting one plant was - I was out there till almost 9 o'clock moving this and moving that.

By the time I'd washed and poured myself a glass I'd damn near missed the start of Newsnight!

No comments: