Monday 23 July 2007

Garden of England survives!

Being located in the Garden of England we often boast some the best weather in the country - and whilst the rest of the country was seemingly disappearing under a sea of rainwater, myself and the Long Suffering enjoyed a sunny day in the garden. Mind you such days have been as rare as rocking horse droppings of late - but we did have a cracking day yesterday and I managed to catch up with some long overdue weeding. I also collected a tray or two of cherry plums from our tree - the poor thing was almost bent double with the amount of fruit on its branches and I swear I heard it sigh with relief when I'd harvested the crop.

So, it was a nice portion of plum crumble with Sunday tea! What's more, with our Horticultural Society's Summer Show coming up on Saturday, the Long Suffering should be odds-on for the Plum Jam prize!

A day in the gaden is never enough though is it? I could have done with another six or seven hours today - but work calls and I've a week working with my friendly fungi to look forward to.

My job at Rootgrow involves working with mycorrhizal fungi - "what?" I hear you say. Well I shall explain.

Having co-evolved with plants and trees for over 500 million years, mycorrhizal fungi are widespread throughout nature and are a fundamental reason for normal plant growth and development.

Such fungi colonise plant or tree roots, extending the root system into the surrounding soil, via an extensive network of fungal filaments (up to 20 metres in a teaspoon of soil). These thread-like filaments extract nutrients and water from a large soil volume and exchange them for carbon from the plant. This secondary root system, when established, links the root systems of adjacent plants or trees and helps share, more efficiently, nutrient resources throughout the plant community.

You don't have to chang your garden methods to introduce mycorrhizal fungi - a simple application of Rootgrow to the roots of plants at planting time will suffice.

It is now recognised that the lack of the mycorrhizal relationship is a major cause of poor plant and tree establishment, and weak growth in a variety of agricultural, urban and suburban landscapes, and gardens.

So, for that perfect garden, take a look at Rootgrow.

There. That should get me an extra fiver in my Christmas bonus!

No comments: